ONTARIO FEDERATION OF 4WD RECREATIONISTS

Home OF4WD Forum General Information General Chit Chat How to Download Trail Index ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

(– by Colt #7288 –)

don't know how many I can save ? How do I check that ?
    now I can't find where I saw the tracks option anymore  ??? >:(

our phones probably have better apps than the gps…. should try that…

Anonymous

(– by Colt #7288 –)

can i save the gpx files onto my android ? on to the Maps or Navigation apps ? if so, it set up or have to download further apps to allow that ?

Anonymous

(– by Colt #7288 –)

and are all these types of trails, on the "back roads" maps you can buy for downloading to gps ? Garmin sells it, but it's $150 WTF ??!!

Anonymous

(– by Drizit #6240 –)

just type in a bunch of addresses on the gps and try and save em, see what it says.

so for your phone you have to do a bit of work.  first you have to download and run "my tracks" from google (it's free) then you have to tell it to export it's tracks to a GPX (doesn't matter that you don't have any on there yet) this will create the "gpx" folder on your phone. 
    Then copy your gpx files from your computer to "sdcardmytracksgpx" on the phone
    then back in my tracks tell it to import all gpx tracks, and they will then be in the list.  I suggest deleting or moving the files after you import them because if you add more and import again it will create duplicates.

If you have a samsung phone i've been having trouble with my tracks lately not finding my correct gps location when i'm up north though… don't know why.

Anonymous

(– by Drizit #6240 –)

and are all these types of trails, on the "back roads" maps you can buy for downloading to gps ? Garmin sells it, but it's $150 WTF ??!!

no they aren't, those maps will just show you the logging roads and fire access roads from what I understand.

Anonymous

(– by Colt #7288 –)

no they aren't, those maps will just show you the logging roads and fire access roads from what I understand.

Logging roads already show up on my gps, without that download… ones in my hunt area do, anyways..

Anonymous

(– by moejeep #5369 –)

Tracks are not listed as an spec on either model of Nuvi.

Colt you said that you where able to turn on tracks, and it draws a line. Do you have the option to save it?  if yes that is there you would look for the tracks, If you can save your own you might be able to open one.

That is what the tracks are… someone turned on tracks, drove the trail, and saved it.

Anonymous

(– by moejeep #5369 –)

As far as buying the new maps… the Ontario Backroads maps are suppose to have ATV trails and hunting WMUs… I have seen the maps, but those are the features listed. It would not help as it does not have OF4WD trails, and if you are using ATV trails you could be on private land not public.

The main issue is your GPS is meant for driving.

I checked the manual for the 255… there is nothing about tracks…

Anonymous

(– by Colt #7288 –)

o.k. I don't think it's tracks, just trip log (which I turned off long ago), it just shows blue line of other places I've gone too

Anonymous

(– by Colt #7288 –)

MoeJeep,

When I choose to copy to phone/my tracks/gpx, it says can't use this file and will not allow me to save there..
    will allow on just my tracks.

Anonymous

(– by moejeep #5369 –)

I don't use the phone for GPS but
    Could you post a screen shot?

make sure the phone is unlock if you are trying to copy to it.

Anonymous

(– by Colt #7288 –)

here's the screen where I chose gpx, then above screen tells me can't use it, with no reason why.

Anonymous

(– by Colt #7288 –)

If I can get this to work, I have no problems using my phone as gps thru trails… prefer not to spend more $$ on new gps, when mine works fine otherwise.

Anonymous

(– by moejeep #5369 –)

The file your are trying copy is compressed (.ZIP). Before you copy it you need to un-compress it  (or unzip) it…

On windows you would right click and select "Extract Here" or "Extract All…"  but by the screenshot it looks like you are using a mac/apple. 

Here is an example of you can do on windows:
    Lets say I downloaded: trailindex-gps-ShoeLake.zip
    If I right click and select extract here, I will now have another file: ShoeLake.gpx
    I could then click on that file, drag and drop into phone GPX folder.

Also in windows there is an option to see the file extensions, most users have that off, therefore you might not see zip or gpx if Mac/Apple is the same way.  In the description of the file is says 'Compressed File' it should say 'GPX file' when it extracted.

Anyone reading this know mac/apple?

Anonymous

(– by moejeep #5369 –)

Correction, that was windows 8….

I am only familiar with Dos 3.3 – Win7 (well except Vista, and Me)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OF4WD Today and Get All the Benefits!

JOIN OF4WD TODAY!