ONTARIO FEDERATION OF 4WD RECREATIONISTS

Home OF4WD Forum General Information General Chit Chat Possible Trail?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

(– by Wrangler #5246 –)

A couple of The Swampers went into the area today and did a little recon tour.

It seems that someone has been in there already and did some cleaning …. Shamus ?

Regardless there is probable a few truckloads of garbage and crap to be cleaned up  … The Swampers 4×4 and Kool Kat 4×4 will be conducting a cleanup day in there on October 20.

Based on the status of the area and current volunteer level between the two clubs it's likely we don't need any help.  Having said that, I would deter anyone from coming out to help if they want …. I just don't want a bunch of people to drive a long distance to find out there not a lot to do …. they choice is theirs.

Contact me if anyone wants to help out for details.

Anonymous

(– by Wrangler #5246 –)

Having said that, I wouldn't deter anyone from coming out to help if they want ..

Corrected my grammar …

If anyone would still want to come out and help out we will welcome them.  Contact me for details closer to the date for meet up place and time.

Anonymous

(– by shamus #4884 –)

Hey thanks for scoping out the area and organizing a cleaning, Wrangler.  If you need any assistance, drop me a line;

Anonymous

(– by Wrangler #5246 –)

Ok so this cleanup is on … It appears that someone has already done some cleaning but there is more to be done.

The Swampers 4×4 Club and Kool Kats 4×4 Club have joined together for this effort.  While it's likely not necessary for more to come out and help out, I won't deter anyone from joining us.

Anyone interested please PM me for details of when and where to meet.

Anonymous

(– by sibbles #2090 –)

This is great guys, thanks for taking this on and making a difference.

What date were you looking at there?

When your complete can you submit a trail report so we can log the work you guys did?

Brian

Anonymous

(– by Wrangler #5246 –)

The date is shown a few posts up ….  ;D    This Saturday … October 20.

We will take some pictures and I will get in touch with you, it's more of a cleanup of an area than a specific trail … there are a few small trails in that area that get used.

Anonymous

(– by Wrangler #5246 –)

Clean up is done …. done the best we could.  There is still more that can be done in there, likely enough for another cleanup day maybe in the spring.

Sibbles we will submit a trail report later this week when we can get all the pictures together and stuff. 

Summary:

Pulled out was:
    Full size hot tub complete
    Dozens of tires
    Bags and of garbage
    Two shop sinks
    Kitchen sink and toilet
    Three ovens
    Rubber boat
    Burnt out late model SUV
    Hot tub
    Grandads shed contents

We almost filled a 40 yard Garbage bin.

IMG_1462.jpg

Anonymous

(– by Wrangler #5246 –)

Better picture for perspective:

IMG_1466.jpg

Anonymous

(– by sibbles #2090 –)

I'm a loss for words guys, that is phenomenal.  what a lot of work and there is still more?  definitely lets get a big clean up crew for the spring and finish it off.

Anonymous

(– by BullwinkleTJ #6222 –)

Awesome work guys. Well done

Anonymous

(– by cerutti #6793 –)

crazy….wait is that a hot tub? on the top of the pile!?!

Anonymous

(– by cerutti #6793 –)

ha, didn't see that "pulled out list" that's just sad

Anonymous

(– by MotoSoul #6593 –)

Winches…. they aren't just for pulling 4×4's anymore ๐Ÿ˜›

Anonymous

(– by Robert T #6964 –)

Good Job!  Swampers 4×4, :'(
    Looking at your photos gives me an idea what to expect at the Oshawa clean up location on Nov 3rd.  ๐Ÿ˜ฎ "yuk"
    but I am sure that my love for off road wheeling will over came that, I hope? ::)
    Please post of any new clean up dates,  as I consider Greens Mountain to be my "home trail" I am willing to help out elsewhere ๐Ÿ™‚
    Robert T

Anonymous

(– by peterw #2012 –)

Found this on a motorcycle forum. I live 2 hours away. Maybe someone in the area could check it out?  ???

Swift Rapids road which leads north up to the Swift Rapids Lock 43 on the Severn River. This road is about 15 kms long and I had to do over half of it in first gear. You can find it on a detailed South Central Ontario Backroads Map. The start of it can be found by drawing a line from Coldwater on Hwy. 12 over to Port Stanton on Sparrow Lake. About halfway in between is the hamlet of Burnside. The road leading north at this point is called Carlyon Line but soon becomes the Swift Rapids Road. From Hwy 400 take exit 136, go along Stage Coach Road, pick up Foxmead Road over to Carlyon then turn left at the intersection of Foxmead and Carlyon. The first few kilometers are pretty smooth. After you pass Jermey Road, you will reach a โ€œstaging area."

Keep the greasy side down. 8)
    Hope I posted this in the right place

Swampers 4×4 – thank you very much indeed for cleaning up this area. Another great example of responsible 4×4 club.

Bit of background with regard to Swift Rapids and trails in Simcoe County – back in 2006 we tried to be recognized as one of the recognized motorized trails groups. Unfortunately we were rather late to the table  and the Simcoe County Forest Recreation Policy was already approved. Apparently 4×4 community (?) were consulted previously – actually some 4×4 club member who had dealings with Simcoe County who suggested no interest from 4×4 communit was the extent of their consultation. Anyway, hearing this I protested and Forester agreed to try and re-open the policy for 4×4 inclusion with advisory committee. PLease see attached letter and rec policy. Bottom line is we needed to provide solid case showing trail maintenance program and trail patrols. I did try to approach local 4×4 community for support on this. Whilst there was some interest, there was not enough capacity to hope to carry this through to viable proposal.
    Anyway, as part of these discussions with Forester, Swift Rapids did come up and Forester cited this as a problem area mentioning that his staff could not get down sections with their vehicles due to rutting.
    Also, I believe this area has hit the newspapers a few times re local opposition to 4×4.

I would be interested in hearing more recent activity/info if anyone can help ? If so, please email me.

Thanks !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join OF4WD Today and Get All the Benefits!

JOIN OF4WD TODAY!